The Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services announced the formation of the Commonwealth Healthcare Network Fund (CHNF) to organize Kentucky’s non-profit healthcare facilities and submit a consortium application for the newly announced Healthcare Connect Fund (HCF) which will subsidize 65% of broadband costs. The proliferation of electronic medical records, digital radiologic imaging, telehealth and other initiatives requires healthcare providers to utilize high-speed broadband services and this federal program will help reduce the financial burden of those expenses.
If you currently conduct clinical telehealth services, please look at how this can expand what you are already doing. If you do not do clinical telehealth activities today, consider how this expansion will benefit you and your patients. Also consider how, in the new reformed healthcare environment, telehealth can get the right care to the right people at the right time in the right place to increase access to care, improve health outcomes and reduce the cost of care.
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:
- Please carefully read this announcement and the attached information as well as the documents that are on the CHNF website http://finance.ky.gov/initiatives/Broadband/Pages/chnf.aspx
- Complete the non-binding “letter of interest” by COB Friday, August 9 at http://finance.ky.gov/initiatives/Broadband/Documents/chnf/Letter%20of%20Interest.pdf to show your interest in the program
- Participate in one of the Kentucky informational phone conferences that are described in the “letter of interest” document
- Contact the CHNF with any questions at email@example.com
- Before Kentucky submits the application in the fall of 2013, every healthcare facility will complete a “letter of agency” that permits the CHNF to apply for these funds on their behalf.
- Provide all information required by the CHNF to submit the application, and after award of the funding, you must verify to CHNF your 35% payment to your broadband provider as well as pay an administrative fee to CHNF. This fee will be a small percentage of the savings you accrue in the program.
This program will require a lot of work, but a 65% subsidy on broadband services will be well worth the effort.
Please see below for additional information and sample forms.
Public News Service article available here. This audio story has been picked up by over 60 radio stations thus far. This news is spreading fast!