On August 2, 2021, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) issued the final rule for the Fiscal Year (FY) 2022 Medicare Hospital Inpatient Prospective Payment System (IPPS). For additional information on the full ruling, please visit the following links.
CMS is finalizing the following changes to the Medicare Promoting Interoperability Program for Eligible Hospitals and CAHs:
• Continue the EHR reporting period of a minimum of any continuous 90-day period for new and returning eligible hospitals and CAHs for CY 2023 and to increase the EHR reporting period to a minimum of any continuous 180-day period for new and returning eligible hospitals and CAHs for CY 2024;
• Maintain the Electronic Prescribing Objective’s Query of Prescription Drug Monitoring Program (PDMP) measure as optional while increasing its available bonus from 5 points to 10 points;
• Add a new Health Information Exchange (HIE) Bi-Directional Exchange measure as a yes/no attestation, beginning in CY 2022 to the HIE objective as an optional alternative to the two existing measures;
• Require reporting “yes” on four of the existing Public Health and Clinical Data Exchange Objective measures (Syndromic Surveillance Reporting, Immunization Registry Reporting, Electronic Case Reporting, and Electronic Reportable Laboratory Result Reporting) or requesting applicable exclusion(s);
• Attest to having completed an annual assessment of all nine guides in the SAFER Guides measure, under the Protect Patient Health Information objective;
• Remove attestation statements 2 and 3 from the Promoting Interoperability Program’s prevention of information blocking attestation requirement;
• Increase the minimum required scoring threshold for the objectives and measures from 50 points to 60 points (out of 100 points) to be considered a meaningful EHR user; and
• Adopt two new eCQMs to the Medicare Promoting Interoperability Program’s eCQM measure set beginning with the reporting period in CY 2023, in addition to removing three eCQMs from the measure set beginning with the reporting period in CY 2024 (in alignment with proposals for the Hospital IQR Program).
Questions? Contact the experts at Kentucky REC for all your hospital Promoting Interoperability questions. We’re here to help: 859-323-3090.